The Federal Government wants to develop Germany into a leading market and lead supplier for electric mobility. Since 2009 multiple departments of the Federal Government have applied target-oriented funding programs to reach this goal.
By using funding programs such as “Model Regions Electric Mobility (Modellregionen Elektromobilität)” and “Local Electric Mobility (Elektromobilität vor Ort)” the Federal Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure supports an overarching collaboration between industry, science and public authorities, to promote establishment and construction of infrastructure for electric mobility in daily life. These activities focus on the idea of a sustainable mobility for society.
In Model Region Rhein-Ruhr more than 45 projects have been developed from 2010 to 2016. Within these projects, more than 750 vehicles have been used and more than 900 charging stations have been installed. In 2016 Model Region Rhein-Ruhr has been expanded to Model Region NRW. In preparation of additional projects, Model Region NRW has been expanded even further.
Specifically, it performed the following tasks:
- Close networking with all relevant actors of the region from industry, energy supply, municipalities, research, associations and politics
- Extensive public relations (PR) in the Model Region and beyond that using PR on national/ international level
- Interface function to National Programme Coordination (NOW), to the Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure, to the National Platform Electric Mobility (NPE)
- Inclusion of all activities from the Model Region within the framework of international activities
- Active contribution of strategic subjects on state level and on federal level
- Project Management: development and support of existing and new projects with regard to objectives of the funding programme